Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Heralding the Coming of Christ: An Advent Shield in Five Sonnets



Advent, the four weeks prior to Christmastide, has traditionally been for Christians a season of anticipation: We anticipate the celebration of Jesus' birth in Bethlehem and also the promise of his ultimate return. Several weeks ago I began, as I do each year, to ponder how I could best use this observance to prepare my own heart to hear God speak in this particular time. While walking with my dog in the reclaimed wilderness of an abandoned golf course, I was struck to see a snowy heron stalking through the shallows of what had been a water hazard. The adjective "heraldic" came to mind and started me thinking about the subject of medieval heraldry, on which I was - and remain - almost totally ignorant. A little research, however, revealed that many of the birds I see regularly here in the Coastal Bend of Texas had deep symbolic meaning for the knightly culture of the middle ages. I began to wonder if that antique language might not enable God's creation to speak to me in new ways.

In what follows I have sought to combine some images from my own observations of these animals with medieval traditions and the biblical associations of Advent. I have chosen the form of the Elizabethan sonnet, the sonnet of Shakespeare, which seemed appropriate for talking about heraldry, knights errant, and romance. I have borrowed much of the technical terminology of heraldry, which will probably be as indecipherable to the reader as it was to me when I began. I will preface each poem with a brief glossary of terms that I hope will help with this.

In a day when the "holiday" (as opposed to Holy Day) that C. S. Lewis sneeringly dubbed "X-mas" (as opposed to Christmas) begins just after "Halloween" (not, as it long was, All Hallows Eve), I need a good deal of help to open myself to God's work. I intend these sonnets to function in the same way that my solitary rambles with my dog in the wilderness of an overgrown golf course function for me: as a shield that buys life-preserving space and a chance to breathe between me and the relentless sword-blows of modernity's assault on silence and slowness. I hope that they will prove helpful to others in this effort.

Introduction: A Non-Combatant's Apology for Taking Up Arms

"As to his blood, I suppose the family quarterings are three cuttle-fish, sable, and a commentator rampant." - Middlemarch by George Eliot

This remark by Mrs. Cadwallader, the rector's wife, passes judgment on both the heritage (blood in the sense of ancestry) and spirit (blood in the sense of "red-blooded") of the Reverend Cassauban. Elsewhere, when Sir James says of the reverend gentleman, "He has got no good red-blood in his body," the clerical lady replies, "No. Somebody put a drop under a magnifying-glass, and it was all semicolons and parentheses." Medieval crusaders were quick to notice the similar shapes of a cross and a sword, but perhaps it is also worth noting that the only reason we now know the stories of cradle or cross is because someone knew about black marks on white surfaces.

Ermine: in its original form is the winter pelt of the stoat, an animal which turns all white except for the tip of its tail. An ermine fur consists of black "tails," or figures, on a white field.

The pen, men say, is mightier than the sword;
They're right, for all I know, and yet it seems
Fair maidens rank brave deeds above apt words,
And more prize righting wrongs than writing reams.
My heraldry boasts but an ermine field,
Inky invertebrates ramp on my arms.
The man of bookish theoric on my shield
No quarter yields but does no body harm.
Black tracks backtrack through time and never cease:

Old thoughts that give fresh wounds are our sure peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment